Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Third Time's the Charm

I had intended to post this entry on Sunday night, but I unfortunately got the flu from my kids (again). So, here goes!

This past Sunday, our worship message was about Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane on the night of the betrayal. My eyes were opened to a point in scripture that I hadn't seen this way before.

Mark 14:32-42 NIV
32-They went to a place called Gethsemane, and Jesus said to his disciples, "Sit here while I pray." 33He took Peter, James and John along with him, and he began to be deeply distressed and troubled. 34"My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death," he said to them. "Stay here and keep watch."

35-Going a little farther, he fell to the ground and prayed that if possible the hour might pass from him. 36-"Abba, Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."

37-Then he returned to his disciples and found them sleeping. "Simon," he said to Peter, "are you asleep? Could you not keep watch for one hour? 38-Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak."

39-Once more he went away and prayed the same thing. 40-When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. They did not know what to say to him.

41-Returning the third time, he said to them, "Are you still sleeping and resting? Enough! The hour has come. Look, the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. 42-Rise! Let us go! Here comes my betrayer!"

So, the first thing I noticed was Peter having to be told something three times, again. ("Peter do you love me? Feed my sheep." John 21:15-17 & "You will deny me three times." Mark 14:66-72) Jesus came and found Peter, James and John sleeping when He had told them specifically to stay awake. Poor Peter, he had nothing to say in his defense. He had been caught. I often identify with Peter, he is so willing to speak what is on his mind, but often without understanding the weight of his commitment.

I have a theory about why Peter had this "rule of three" when it came to Jesus telling him something important. It seems that the first time something is presented, Peter goes it with his gut response and doesn't necessarily contemplate what Jesus says. The second time, he might think "Hmm. That was weird. I've heard that before." but his response is the same as the first. The third time the same thing happens AGAIN, a light-bulb goes on. Peter finally gets the point. There is no way he can say it was only a coincidence, there must be more going on here.

Once again, I find myself alike to Peter. How many times has God tried to get my attention, and I just nod my head and say "Sure God, whatever... you know how I feel... I'm already on board" But because He loves me, God continues to pursue me. I am convicted in my own complacency of faith in the times I don't feel the true dimension of what I am agreeing with. How trivial I make the call of the Spirit when I don't acknowledge the greatness I am joining. The blood of Christ requires complete devotion, every day, with each call, and to this I pledge my undivided attention.

2 comments:

Laurie B said...

Laura, that was so good. I know I've been there too, many, many times. It reminds me of the Weighdown lesson "Save your heart for me."

Hope to see you in about 6 days.

Anonymous said...

Great observation Laura! I learned a lot from that sermon as well. Funny, how us silly humans are a little slow to learn/listen/understand when God is trying to talk to us.