Thursday, April 05, 2007

Jesus' Example

Do you want to learn how to know and then do the will of God? There is no better model than that of Jesus himself. During His 33 years on earth He never failed to do every assignment given to Him by the Father. He perfectly completed every assignment God gave Him. He never sinned. Would you like to understand how Jesus came to know and do the will of God?

John 5:17,19,20
17 Jesus said to them, "My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I, too, am working."
19 Jesus gave them this answer: "I tell you the truth, the Son can do nothing by himself; he can do only what he sees his Father doing, because whatever the Father does the Son also does.
20 For the Father loves the Son and shows him all he does. Yes, to your amazement he will show him even greater things than these."


This is one of the clearest examples of how Jesus knew what to do. An outline of Jesus' approach to knowing and doing God's will would be:

Jesus example
- The Father has been working right up until now.
- Now God has Me working.
- I do nothing on My own initiative.
- I watch to see what the father is doing.
- I do what I see the Father already is doing.
- You see, the Father loves Me.
- He shows Me everything that He, Himself, is doing.

This model is for my life personally and for His church. It is not just a step-by-step approach for knowing and doing the will of God. It describes a love relationship through which God accomplishes His purposes. In short: Watch to see where God is working and join Him!

God Is Always at Work Around You

Right now God is working all around you and in your life. One of the greatest tragedies among God's people is that, while they have a deep longing to experience God, they are experiencing God day after day but do not know how to recognize Him. The purpose of Experiencing God is to learn many ways to recognize clearly the activity of God in and around your life. The Holy Spirit and the Word of God will instruct you and help you know when and where God is working. Once you know where He is working, you will adjust your life to join Him where He is already at work.

You will experience His accomplishing His activity through your life. When you enter this kind of intimate love relationship with God, you will know and do the will of God and experience Him in ways you have never known Him before. The study of the material in Experiencing God cannot accomplish that goal in your life. Only God can bring you into that kind of relationship.

3 comments:

Shawn White said...

this post deserves a "thumb up".

i still haven't started reading that book yet - still too much going on...

shawn

Laura said...

No sweat, just keep reading my blog... I'll eventually post the whole thing!

What a blessing Henry Blackaby has been in my life. I have never met this man, yet I feel I owe him sincere thanks for teaching me and so many Christians the importance of knowing God's love for us. It has changed everything in my life. It's no longer about me, it's about doing His will above all else.

Someday I will write him a personal note to let him know that learning how to hear when God is speaking has been an incredible gift and what a servant of God I see in him as His disciple.

D.L. White said...

"One of the greatest tragedies among God's people is that, while they have a deep longing to experience God, they are experiencing God day after day but do not know how to recognize Him."

That's a very interesting statement. Something I'd never thought about before...but very true, I think.