Wednesday, October 24, 2007

8 Random Things About My Kitchen



I've been tagged. I haven't done one of these in a while, but this one is a little different and might be fun to see how long it takes me to think these up...

1. Our kitchen in our new house is eerily similar to our kitchen in California. I must have really liked the layout because is just like our other house, right down to the peninsula over the sink! The only differences between the two kitchens are the placement of the fridge and range/oven are switched and we now have a pass through door into the entry which makes the floor space here a little bigger. Other than that, they are almost exactly the same. Same angles, same cabinet placement, same pantry... weird.

2. I have three sets of dishes. I have formal Noritake China that was received as a wedding gift (it has only been used once), Mikasa dinner ware that I use for company, and our everyday dishes are a set of vintage mustard colored earthenware that belonged to Dan's grandparents in Zimbabwe. The mark on the dishes is Willsgrove Ware Pottery Made in Rhodesia. Based on the color, I would guess it's at least 40 years old. I cried when I broke one of the bowls.

3. I have an under-mount kitchen sink which I absolutely LOVE! I do most of my food prep on the counter next to the sink so I can just wipe the crumbs and mess right off and wash it away. It was way more expensive to install than it should have been, but I think it's a great invention and I would recommend it.

4. We have an eat-in kitchen. (That's just the fancy new way to say we have a breakfast nook.)

5. I almost always have fresh flowers on my kitchen counter. They make me happy.

6. I have a can of salmon in my pantry that we moved here from California in 2005. I don't eat fish, so I haven't felt the need to open it. Ever. I suppose I should toss it out, but it's really difficult for me to throw canned goods away. However, since I wouldn't eat it after storing it for this long and I won't feed it to anyone else, I think it's time to just let go.

7. We eat our big meal of the day at lunch. Dan has always preferred to have a big lunch and a very small dinner, so when he started working from home I changed the meals to fit his schedule. I make traditional dinners for lunch on weekdays (stroganoff with rice, meat-loaf with baked potatoes, chicken enchiladas, etc.), small dinners (chicken and biscuits, quesadillas, grilled cheese, etc.) and then we eat leftovers on Saturday.

8. I post the menu for the week on the inside of the pantry door so when it's time to start meal prep, I always know what I'm making for each meal that day. (I make my shopping list on the other side, so I have it with me at the store to see what ingredients I need to buy... it works really well for me!)


I tag Jesica, Davina and Amber... have fun! I finished this in just under an hour, how'd I do Sara?

4 comments:

Sara Kay said...

Good job. Thanks, Laura! :)

D.L. White said...

Ugh - this is probably the worst thing you could tag me for, seeing as I'm never in my kitchen. lol I'll try to do my best with my list.

How crazy - that your kitchen layout is almost exactly the same to the one in your old house!

Btw - the dinners we get at your house on movie nights are the only homecooked meals we have gotten lately, sad to admit it. But seriously, I've been meaning to thank you and Dan, and let you know how much we appreciate not only the food, but the fellowship.

Your kitchen is a warm and friendly place. We always feel relaxed and at home there. :)

Jes said...

My kitchen is so boring, but here goes:

1. I have an island..it holds junk that stresses me out. I'd prefer using it for food prep., but alas...

2. If there is chocolate somewhere in my kitchen, I am happy. No chocolate..no happy.

3. My pantry doors are painted in chalkboard paint, where my little Brennie loves to draw pictures of herself. :)

4. I often have lovely flowers in my kitchen..courtesy of my sweet friend, Laura. (or, Mrs. Waurwa, if your name is Brennan!)

5. I always mean to make my husband's lunch, but he ends up doing it most of the time because I forget.

6. My crockpot is my best friend.

7. We always have bananas and pears, and apples and oranges. We love fruit here! My son could be a fruitarian if we'd let him.

8. I have the most amazing custom made draperies in my kitchen, because God sent me Jenel, and she made my home beautiful! I'm so blessed! :)

That's all...

XOXOX,
Jes

Laura said...

Aww, thanks Davina, for the kind words. You know we love you guys and really look forward to seeing you each week. We've been going through White-withdrawl since we haven't seen you in several weeks!

Jes, you know how I feel about you. Just in case you don't, I love ya!