Monday, April 17, 2006

Dear Mr President

This letter sums up my feelings on the immigration issue well... I don't know it's origin, but I found most of the points hit the nail on the head!

Dear President Bush:

I'm planning a little trip with my family and extended family, and I would like you to assist me. I'm going to walk across the border from the U.S. into Mexico, and I need to make a few arrangements. I know you can help with this.

You see, I plan to skip all the legal stuff like visas, passports, immigration laws and all that, and I'm sure they handle those things down there the same way you do here.

So, would you mind telling your buddy El Presidente Vicente Fox that I'm on my way over? Please let him know that I will be expecting all of the following:

1. Free medical care for myself and my entire family.
2. English-speaking government bureaucrats for all services I might need, whether I use them or not.
3. All government forms must be printed in English.
4. I want my children to be taught by English-speaking teachers.
5. Schools must include classes on American culture and history.
6. I want my kids to see the American flag flying on a flagpole at least as high as the Mexican flag, if not higher.
7. Please plan to feed my kids both breakfast and lunch at school, free of charge. And make sure it's nutritious.
8. I will need a local Mexican driver's license so I can get easy access to government services.
9. I do not plan to have any car insurance, nor will I make any effort to learn local traffic laws.
10. In case any Mexican police officers do not get the memo from El Presidente Fox to leave me alone, please be sure that all police officers speak English.
11. I plan to fly the American flag in my yard, put American flag decals on my car, and have a gigantic American celebration every July 4th. I do not expect, nor will I appreciate, any complaints or comments from Mexicans.
12. Make sure jobs that pay cash without extracting taxes are available, because I plan to send large portions of that money back to my relatives in America, and cash expedites the process.
13. Please expect, and calmly tolerate, frequent angry demonstrations disruptive to the local economy should anybody ever complain about the strain I might be placing on the Mexican economy.

I know this is an easy request, because you already do ALL these things for all the people who come to the U.S. from Mexico under the same conditions. I'm sure El Presidente Fox won't mind returning the favor if you ask him nicely. I'm sure he's always been friendly and generous to those who evade Mexican law when entering Mexico.

Thank you so much for your kind help.

8 comments:

Shawn White said...

lol - priceless.

shawn

Josh said...

YEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS! That was awesome! Where did you find that letter?

Laura said...

Josh, my dear friend Laurie's future daughter-in-law in Cali had it on her Myspace. She got it from a friend and didn't know the original source either. I thought it was quite "to the point" without being obnoxious.
Thanks again for reading my blog... it makes me feel special!

Stephen said...

I wonder how this correlates to Josh's blog topic "A Rabbit worth Chasing" (http://joshyboy81.blogspot.com/)

Laura said...

Stephen,
I've done some thinking if this has anything to do with Josh's blog and they are two different issues for me. Just because I agree with immigration reform does not mean I'm a racist. Mexico has enough money in it's bureaucracy to take care of it's own citizens. If we crack down on our border it might cause the Mexican government to take a serious look at why every night there is a mass exodus from Mexico to the US. Besides the problems with giving illegals something for nothing (i.e. free programs without paying taxes), there are security issues with letting just anyone walk across the border. We have no way of knowing who these people are or why they left where they were. Although the current laws need changing, I think anyone who wants to come to America needs to do it the right way to gain access to our programs, just as my family did!

P.S. I didn't think you were calling me a racist ; )

Stephen said...

Some who have strong feelings about immigration approach this from a very strong "negative" racist viewpoint versus what I would call a "cultural racist" viewpoint (where people naturally congregate with like kind).

I do not believe you or anyone on this dialog is a racist (in the negative sense). It just seemed coincidental that these two blogs were posted at the same time.

I agree with you these are two different issues.

I agree anyone entering this country needs to do so legally.

I agree we need border security.

Shawn White said...

Stephen - I totally agree with those two final points that you made. Unfortunately, it seems most people in our modern (or postmodern) culture have been conditioned to think that if you disagree with 'A' then you must be 'B'. For instance, so disagree with the homosexual lifestyle is to be labled a homophobe, or even one who hates them - which is a total leap in logic. One has nothing to do with the other. To disagree with illegal immigrants is to be labled racist and one has nothing to do with the other. I'm all for immigration, if it is done legally.

Shawn

Laura said...

Shawn,
I said exactly the same thing to Dan last night. A couple of months ago, I saw some guy on Bill O'Riley (which I very rarely watch) say that same thing and I thought, yeah, that's so true. It makes me mad because I really try to love others as I love myself, whether they are like me or not. The issue of immigration reform is a big one for a lot of people because I've seen a lot of action on this subject, not just on my blog!

P.S. Stephen, I think Josh got his idea from me because I posted first!

Laura