Friday, October 03, 2008

Couscous with Asparagus


Bountiful Baskets co-op this week had LOTS of tomatoes (I think I had 8) and fresh asparagus. Here's the recipe for the lunch I made yesterday to use up the last of my tomatoes:

2T olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1c chicken broth
1 package Near East toasted pinenut couscous
2 roma or plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
10 spears asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
3/4 c shredded Parmesan cheese

Heat olive oil in large skillet and saute garlic about 2 minutes. Add broth and couscous seasonings. Bring to boil and stir in asparagus. Reduce heat, cover and simmer about 1 minute. Stir in couscous, cover and remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and Parmesan cheese.


I've loved being in the co-op for the past month. I've been motivated to try recipes I never would have attempted without the addition of the fresh produce we've received. If you haven't done so yet (and you live in Phoenix), please check it out. You won't be disappointed!

2 comments:

GAR said...

Looks yummilicious! and healthy too...

Laura said...

Very healthy and although I don't really care much for asparagus (unless it's drowning in hollandaise sauce, NOT healthy) this was very good. I'd make it again as a side dish with some kind of chicken (tandori maybe?)