Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Corn Is Taking Over

Years ago, I watched a documentary about US government subsidizing for corn farmers. I was aghast thinking my tax dollars were given to farmers with the specific instruction not to grow crops. The thought still makes me mad. A large portion of what is allowed to grow and be harvested is processed into high-fructose corn syrup or corn syrup solids and put in most food produced in the US. It is surprising to me corn farmers would be in favor of advertising corn products since they have been paid to sit on their land for years without having to work. Doesn't this mean a change in lifestyle from their life of ease?


(I'm not sure what point the YouTube poster was trying to make with the extra 'stuff' after the ads, I apologize for the inconvenience.)

This advertisement from the corn industry makes it sound like corn syrup is just fine and dandy (nevermind the punch she is holding probably contains a large quantity of Allura Red which has been linked to childhood hyperactivity and is banned in Denmark, Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, and Austria... but I digress). After thinking about what I saw in the TV ad, it is obvious most American's don't know what high-fructose corn syrup is and the need to avoid massive consumption in our diet.

It is very difficult to find anything in the supermarket that doesn't have some corn in it. For my friends with corn allergies, I wish you all the best in your efforts to find foods you can tolerate!

My background in biology and chemistry comes in handy when reading and understanding biological information, but the effects of high fructose corn syrup are not complicated chemical reactions.

Here are some of the basics:
Fructose is a naturally occurring sugar found in honey, fruits and grains such as corn. Eating fructose in it's natural state is very well processed by the body. When you eat whole fruit, the body breaks down the fructose and takes in the vitamins along with fiber and the sugar.
High-fructose corn syrup is not a naturally occurring sugar. Massive consumption of concentrated sugars, like high-fructose corn syrup, has been linked to contributing to medical illnesses such as diabetes at a higher rate than even table sugar. Much of the foods we eat in America every day contain large amounts of high-fructose corn syrup.
Table sugar, whether derived from cane or beets, is also a processed chemically treated food and not a naturally occurring substance as a white crystal. In 1957 British scientist John Yudkin made a link between consuming refined sugar and coronary heart disease.

Just like exposure to plastics outside our home is beyond our control, so our exposure to processed refined sugars is difficult to limit. Since without an allergy to corn I would be uncomfortable imposing my non-corn syrup request on someone who has invited our family to dinner (like the mom in the commercial did at a party), here's how we're limiting our concentrated sugar intake in our house:

1. We do not consume fruit drinks or soda. The children and I only drink milk, water or 100% fruit juice.

2. We eat whole fruit or fruit sauce (such as applesauce) without added sugar.

3. We do not eat white bread. I have just joined a food co-op and I'm eagerly waiting for my first order of all-natural wheat sandwich bread this Saturday!

4. I will only cook with raw sugar or honey from now on (after I run out of the 5 lb bag of cane sugar I just bought!)

Although we have always done the first three points, the fourth will be a change for me, hopefully for the better!

Author's Note
I suppose it is possible the corn farming industry is looking out for the health of their customers (which is all Americans not growing our own food), even their commercial admits sugar must be consumed in moderation. The trouble is, so much of the food available for purchase in the supermarket contains high-fructose corn syrup that it is almost impossible to heed this advise.

2 comments:

GAR said...

Yes, we have one child with high-fructose corn syrup intolerance...she is "allergic" we say, and we try to avoid as much as possible, though not always possible.

As for cooking with honey, boy have I got recipes for you! :)

Laura said...

I didn't know one of my niece's has a corn allergy, you learn something new every day!

I'd love more recipes but I'm hoping I can just seamlessly replace white sugar with raw sugar and only use honey in recipes specifically calling for it.

Have you had any experience with it not working out?

I'll let you know how it goes. :)