Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Obama and Abortion


This post is not about the issue of abortion being against the law of God. For information about abortion and God's word, see my post Life. This post is about babies who are born alive after an attempted abortion, which is referred by the administering doctor as a "complication" of the abortion procedure, and Senator Obama's stance on the care and welfare of those babies. Or lack thereof.

Abortion procedures performed in the first trimester (usually before the 9th week) are Medicinal Abortion by taking several drugs to induce labor and cause a "miscarriage", or Suction Curettage (or vacuum aspiration) in which a long plastic tube connected to a suction device is inserted into the uterus to suction out the fetus and placenta. These procedures are not survivable by the baby.

Abortion procedures performed in the second and third trimester are Suction Curettage (or vacuum aspiration) and Induction Abortion in which salt water, urea, or potassium chloride is injected into the mother's uterus causing chemical burns to the baby with the intent the baby will die while still in the womb. Birth is then induced by pitocin being given to the mother via IV to cause contractions and laminaria is inserted into the vagina to cause dilation of the cervix for delivery of the dead baby.

However, if the baby survives an Induction abortion and is born alive, the doctor may then decide to terminate life by inflicting one of the following on the baby:

1. Suffocation by drowning.
2. Strangulation or stabbing by the hand of the doctor.
3. Exposure by leaving the baby unattended.

Senator Obama voted against a state bill to mandating doctors to give medical attention to the viable breathing baby who by some miracle has survived an induction abortion. By sanctioning neglect of an infant, the doctor has government approval to participate in infanticide by one of the preceding methods.

It is my hope and prayer that education on these abortion procedures and Senator Obama's support of denial of medical attention to babies who survive abortion will cause a great cry by people who are shocked these procedures still exist in a civilized society.

5 comments:

Deb said...

…and Sen. Barack Hussein Obama says they want healthcare for ALL?? It doesn’t look that way to me!!

The born alive issue is a major example of hypocrisy in their statement/position.

You might think he sounds good, but how he sounds is not likely to affect us, but what he means could.

We truly must analyze what we are hearing from Sen. Barack Hussein Obama while we have the opportunity.

I hope you don't mind this post.

Deborah

Laura said...

Deb and Amy,
Thank you both for your comments. I've been talking with family members who are Obama supporters, they didn't even know late term abortions exist. Their ignorance was surprising, but unfortunately not uncommon.

This is a very emotional topic for most Christians. Because I have done much research on abortion, I am now able to talk about the facts of the procedures without becoming so overwhelmed with the details that I am unable to make my point.

I would encourage you both to let your objection to abortion be a topic of discussion with your own friends and family in a non-accusatory way but firmly without waivering from the morality of abortion as sin.

As Christians, we must be seen as administering Truth with the love of Christ. Especially when showing that Truth to the lost who may only come to know Him through their encounter with us.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3

1 If I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but do not have love, I have become a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.

2 If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all mysteries and all knowledge; and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing.

3 And if I give all my possessions to feed the poor, and if I surrender my body to be burned, but do not have love, it profits me nothing.

Shawn White said...

Great post and follow-up comment Laura. This truly is an epidemic in this country and many people are not aware of what some of these procedures are. As the late Francis Schaeffer wrote in 1981, "The basic problem of the Christians in this country in the last eighty years or so, in regard to society and in regard to government, is that they have seen things in bits and pieces instead of totals." (A Christian Manifesto, p. 17).

He is absolutely correct. The Christian does not think that it is their place or duty to get involved in these matters if it is not some how directly connected to their "private faith" during Sunday "worship."

D.L. White said...

Have you read or heard about Gianna Jessen? She is a saline abortion survivor... her story is powerful. The most chilling thing I've heard her say is, "The woman should have a choice. I am a woman. Where was my choice?" There are several videos of her speaking and being interviewed on YouTube if you want to check her out.

Laura said...

D~ On Sept 15 I saw Gianna on an interview with Hanity and Colmes (Dan was watching, I was making dinner) and I was so impressed by her composure during the interview that I wrote this post. She is an amazing person with incredible strength.

Here's the link to the interview we watched.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZVf_o1C2nI