Friday, September 05, 2008

One Reason I Don't Watch Oprah


Although Oprah Winfrey has made a public statement that she is not going use her program as a platform to interview politicians, the photo above clearly shows Barack Obama making an appearance on her show.

I completely understand that it is the "Oprah" show and that Ms Winfrey is free to have anyone she wants on her show, it's her show! She has publicly made her choice for a Presidential candidate and is not open to the idea of presenting a journalistic program which would require her to give equal interviews to all Presidential candidates and their running mates.

As a mother of three children (one still at home full-time) I don't have the luxury of time to watch any other entertainment shows to balance the liberal opinions I would receive from watching Ms Winfrey's program. I have decided to skip the hour of Oprah and actually do something productive for my family (like laundry, dishes, dinner, etc... you get the point.) Her endorsement of one candidate has made it obvious to me where her values lie, I don't need to continue to watch her program to have it confirmed.

After the election I might have time to detail many of the other reasons I dislike the Oprah show, from the entitlement of "My Favorite Things" to Eckharht Tolle and his misguided total embrace of New Age religion. Then again, I don't know if I really want to open that can of worms.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I am disappointed Oprah is using her program as a political forum. I am no longer watching Oprah. I suggest others do the same. This seems to be the only way we communicate.

Laura said...

Hi cec.

Thank you for your comment. I think you are right on... too often we think that our one voice is so small as not to be heard. If the millions of people who disagree with television programing would speak out and make a firm stand, we would be a formidable force to be reckoned with.

p.s. I've tried to find who you are on your profile, but it's listed as private. I'm just curious, do we know each other?

Caedmon said...

Oh, open it...please..open it! If the US can't see that Oprah is going to use her show to attempt to manipulate the votes of all of her adoring (female) fans....then we're crazy!

I was reading in the Old Testament a few days ago, about how King David prayed that the counsel that one man gave to his son, Absalom, would be made foolish by God's hand.

This has become my new prayer for everyone in the Obama camp...that his wife's advice would end up being foolish...his politicos...all of them.

I'm begging God to rip this election from Barak Hussein Obama....and that if He does, we as believers will have the courage to say, "Look at what our God has done for us this day!"

Laura said...

Jes,
Your enthusiasm is so apparent, I hope you are right and more of Ms. Winfrey's audience sees her for what she is... a human in need of a Saviour just like everyone else.

I love you!

Amy said...

Yet another reason that I no longer watch Oprah! She has changed so much over the years, but I think the straw for me was her newage crusade this year...promoting a very newage book, "A New Heaven and a New Earth" and having daily devotions out of this book, daily on her show. Good grief!

Her comment about Sarah Palin, was honestly not a surprise to me! It just shows, once again the liberal press doing what it does best.