Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Ratatouille


True to my typical ad-lib style of cooking, this "dish" has no real recipe. My inspiration for meals starts by reading recipes online to get ideas for ingredients and cooking times and temperatures. Then I do my own thing with what I have on hand and make a recipe mine. I only follow a recipe or measure quantities of ingredients if I'm making a cake. Anything else I make is seasoned to my own taste and it's always delicious, or so I've been told!

So, here's how I used up some of my super fresh veggies from the produce co-op for lunch today...

1 eggplant cut into 1/4 inch rounds
3 tomatoes cut into 1/4 inch rounds
2 bell peppers chunked
4 zucchini squash chunked
garlic powder
dried basil
kosher salt
olive oil
5 sprigs fresh rosemary *I don't think the rosemary added any flavor, I just try to use it a lot because it grows like a weed in my yard

Cut and salt the eggplant and let stand for one hour. Dust off water from eggplant and place one layer in bottom of casserole dish that has been coated with olive oil. Top with zucchini, peppers and tomato. Sprinkle with garlic powder, basil and salt (to taste). Repeat layering veggies and seasonings until you don't have any left. Place rosemary on top and drizzle with olive oil. Bake covered in preheated 350 oven for 40 minuets.


Wonderful!

5 comments:

Amy said...

WOW!! And here I am thinking when I start reading, that I am going to read about the movie... lol!! der!!

Thankyou for the recipe! I bet my kids would love to make this with me...

~ amy

Shawn White said...

Ha - I thought you made the actual dish from the movie. Too funny. I wish I wasn't such a picky eater - that looks really good.

Produce Co-op? I have never heard of that before.

D.L. White said...

You need to open your own restaurant! (Although I'm sure trying to feed a family of five IS like running a restaurant!)

Do you hire out as a personal chef?? hee hee

D.L. White said...

P.S. I thought this post was going to be about the Pixar movie too! Ha! Us un-cultured Americans! :P

Laura said...

Thanks for the comments, it was really good and very easy to make. I'll be making it again if I ever get another eggplant!

p.s. D~ I'm for hire if the price is right! ;)